I once went off coffee for a full 30 days, don’t ask me why (because I simply can’t remember) BUT, I remember it was the worst time of my life – almost. One week into it I had a splitting headache, so bad I couldn’t think at all. My friends warned me about this too, so I kinda went in prepared, yet didn’t know it was going to be that bad…
Since then, I happily started and continued to drink coffee!
I went from Caramel spiced coffees to cappuccinos, then to having soy milk, replaced then with almond milk… then to ditching capps for lattes and piccolos, then finally to only black (as after our trip to Europe it made me realize that coffee is such a social thing in Australia, when really it should be a source of fuel, a kick of energy! So I started only drinking black coffee. But now, none at all.
I have started drinking matcha instead!
Over the last few weeks I have been trying to listen to how my body feels after drinking coffee, I cut back from drinking 2-3 a day to only 1 first thing in the morning, as I am out of the house by 5:30am and at work by 6… at that time of day you kinda need a coffee right? It is the thing to be holding in your hand if you’re up at that time of day, no? Honestly no. Your body should be waking up with cortisol levels already raising, so putting caffiene into your body only spikes it up more and can worsen things for me. A good crash may happen a few hours later.
I simply used my AM coffee as a reassurance I had energy in me, it was a habit! But over the last week I have gone straight in cold turkey, no coffee at all and I have been managing fine. Though… my migraines have been belting back. They come and go and it’s not a fun time BUT I know for a fact they’ll be gone soon – so the only thing for me to do is keep pushing through.
But from listening to my body and realizing that coffee made me bloat and feel uncomfortable, I knew this was the best choice for me. If you’re someone who is already suffering from digestion issues, coffees acidity isnt probably going to help you. Rather, it will affect your stomach and intestines lining, making things worse if anything.
So let me go over the BENEFITS of MATCHA and a recipe that uses GELATIN, COCONUT OIL & a sweetener of choice – you can find it in my recent post here!
There are many reasons why matcha beats coffee!
- High levels of antioxidans, including catechins, a unique type of antioxidant with powerful cancer-fighting properties.
- Contains L-Theanine – amino acid that helps your body process caffeine differently – giving you a sustained energy boost without any jitters or crashing
- Contains fiber, including chlorophyll
- Increases thermogenesis, which boosts your metabolism and helps you lose weight
- COCONUT OIL
- Easily digested, which can positively alter your metabolism.
- It is used directly as “fuel,” instead of being stored as fat.
- Antioxidant properties
- Combats inflammatory issues
- Assists in cardiovascular function
- Alleviate gut conditions
- Help curb your appetite by keeping you fuller for longer and help you feel satiated well into the morning.
- There are a number of benefits ranging from:
- Being a natural source of protein and containing essential amino acids
- Ais digestive function and gut health
- Protects joints and lowers joint pain
- Improves quality of sleep
- Improves skin health
- Maintains a healthy heart
- Maintains healthy bones
- Keeps you feeling fuller for longer!
It may seem you are consuming more or high calories here, BUT it is the type of calories that matter here and their benefits for you overall health.