If you crave chocolate, and maybe some fruit and nut like myself – this is the ultimate go to recipe for you. I absolutely love it and it keeps me skipping that chocolate and sweets aisle… especially as I can’t have dairy, so the organic cacao chocolates cost a bomb!!
This will take you less than 15 minutes to prepare.
They’re dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, and made with only 5 ingredients, including pink himalayan or sea salt!
They’re rich, yet delicious. The sweetness comes from dates, which by the way aren’t meant to break down into small pieces – they are meant to have chunks in the bites. The bites are high in healthy fats from the coconut milk, so you won’t be getting the blood sugar spike you’d normally get after eating conventional sweets. However, they still contain sugar–albeit natural–so they should be enjoyed in moderation.
Add some natural nuts (you don’t want salted because you alraedy add salt in this recipe) if you want some extra crunch and desire fruit AND NUT chocolate bars. Just don’t overload it in dates, sultanas and nuts otherwise it may be a little too sweet… and don’t add nut’s if yu want to keep it nut-free!
The silky smooth texture melts in your mouth so I recommend keeping it in the freezer for safe keeping.
- 6-8 large medjool dates (1/2 cup), pitted
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (I use macro organic)
- 1 tbs rice malt syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- Pinch of pink himalayan or sea salt
- Any choice of natural nut if desired (if using peanuts, almonds or cashews – be sure to cut into halves). I’d recommend a handful as you are already using dates.
- Add all ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth
- Mix in nuts (and sultanas but only half a handful) if desired, otherwise just keep it tasting simple with chocolate and dates.
- Line a 5”x7” container with baking paper and pour the mixture inside and freeze for one hour
- Remove from the freezer, cut into slices, and enjoy!
Note: I store it in the freezer simply because it can melt fast.