Being dairy free has it’s perks, and that is trialing different healthy recipes, using different substitutes to see what works and tastes best! Plus, it’s allowed me to get my creative cooking hat back on! Yay! I actually love cooking, however… I am not one for complicated recipes! The simpler and basic the better. Having few ingredients with a bake free option is anyones ideal recipe. Some people may not care but it does save your time and the mess, plus you get the mental satisfaction and preference to make these healthy sweets knowing it won’t take half your day or cost a bomb to buy all the ingredients!
This recipe pretty much tastes like a Snickers bar. No joke! It can be made in a matter of minutes, with only 5 main ingredients + salt, and can save you the time going to the sweets aisle at your local grocery store to buy an actual Snickers bar haha.
There are multiple ways of making this recipe, however I am going the dairy free option, so making your own chocolate is essential!
I suggest the brands that I use – they are all natural and organic, but if you have another brand you like you can still use that. The reason I use the brands, such as Macro Wholefoods and Natures Harvest because they are certified organic, have no added sugar or preservatives and is made from natural ingredients.
One of the ingredients is raw cacao which is considered a superfood due to its rich flavonoids (antioxidants), essential fatty acids, fiber, B vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, calcium, sulfur, iron and zinc. It also contains phenylethylamine (PEA), a chemical our bodies produce naturally when we are excited. PEA is said to increase focus and alertness and results in a similar feeling to when we are excited or fall in love!
So a couple of these a day will keep any doctor away!
*Remember that even though we are subsititing ingredients for healthier alternatives, they still have calories. Too many calories can lead to over eating, and these bad boys can easily be over indulged (guilty).
Images included below
Makes 12-14 pieces
Carbs: 22g (75%)
Fats: 3.1g (19%)
Protein: 2g (6%)
- 12-15 dates, pitted (Macro Wholefoods)
- 3-5 tablespoons natural almond or peanut butter (Sanitarium Natural Crunchy or Smooth)
- Dash of Pink Himalayan
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil (Macro Wholefoods)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder (Macro Wholefoods)
- 3-4 tablespoons rice malt syrup (I use Natures Harvest)
- If your dates are not soft enough, soak them in warm water for 20 minutes
- Drain the dates and throw them in the food processor along with nut butter and himalayan salt. Process until a sticky dough forms. *Side note: if the consistency is too liquidy for you, add dates… If it is too sticky, add peanut butter, which will make it taste more like a Snickers
- Roll into balls and chill in the freezer
- Meanwhile, melt coconut oil over low heat or in a microwave. Remove from heat, then add cacao and maple syrup, and mix until smooth
- Coat caramels in the melted chocolate mixture and place in the freezer to set. Enjoy!